Are you looking for the best vacuum for pet hair? If yes, then your best answer can be found here!
We all love our pets, but they can be messy. Your pet may track in mud and dirt, tear up their toys, and occasionally make a mess of their own. I know my dog is very messy, but I love him anyways. However, one of the biggest cleanup jobs most owners have is cleaning up pet hair. I find myself vacuuming at least once a day!
My dog sheds a lot, but all dogs and cats shed differently. Seasonal factors, breed, and even stress can play a part in how much your dog or cat sheds. The best way to clean, is with a vacuum. But, how do we know which is the best pet hair vacuum?
Well, while it may seem like an impossible job, you can get and keep your home clean with the right vacuum. Today, we’re going to look at the top 10 best vacuums for pet fur!
Things To Consider When Buying The Best Vacuum For Pet Hair
Once you know what to look for, it’s a lot easier to find the right vacuum for your needs. You may feel like you’re buried under a mountain of fur, but the right vacuum is out there.
There are many different components that make vacuums effective or ineffective in cleaning up pet fur. Pet hair is unique from dirt and dust, which is why not all vacuums are right for the job.
Dog fur is differently weighted and tend to stick to things, especially carpets. So, you’ll need a heavy duty vacuum to help you out at home! Here are a few things to consider when buying a vacuum for pet hair.
Your Home’s Flooring And Layout
With any type of flooring, you’ll need to select a vacuum that works for that type of flooring. You may also have many different types of flooring your home, so you may need to choose a vacuum that’s versatile. For pet hair on any surface, you’ll need powerful suction because pet hair sticks to everything. I find myself covered head to toe in pet fur all the time!
- Hardwood & Tile Floors- Hardwood and tile is the easiest to clean. So, you’ll need to find a vacuum that glides well and works for your home and budget. You’ll have more options for hardwood, since it’s easier to clean.
- Carpet & Rugs- Carpet and rugs are tough to clean. If you have them at home, you know this all too well. Not only will you need to find a vacuum with good suction, you’ll also need to find one with a brush. The brush, usually a rotating brush will help to dislodge pet hair trapped in your carpet. Also, an adjustable vacuum is best for carpet. You’ll be able to adjust the height according to what surface you’re vacuuming.
- Furniture- It’s best to keep your pets off your furniture to keep them clean, but I know I let my pets on the couch. Many pet owners let their pets on their furniture, which means you’ll need to clean the fur away. Flexible or handheld options are best for couch and other furniture cleaning.
- Stairs- Stairs are a tough one. They tend to have lots of nooks and crannies for pet hair to hide, which is why you’ll need a vacuum with a handheld attachment, or just a handheld vacuum!
Your Pet’s Breed
Did you know that you pet’s breed has a lot to do with how much he or she sheds? It’s true. Different breeds shed different amounts. You should do your research to learn more about your pet’s shedding habits to help you out with cleaning. Here are a few examples of breeds that shed a lot or shed a little.
- Dog Breeds That Shed A Lot- Border Collies, Chihuahuas, Beagles, Pugs, Chow Chows, Labradors/Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds, Saint Bernards, Huskies, and Rottweilers. All of these dogs shed a lot!
- Dog Breeds That Shed Very Little- Poodles, Maltese Dogs, Shih Tzus, Bichon Frise, Italian Greyhounds, Schnauzers, Yorkshire Terriers, Scottish Terriers, Border Terrier, and Dachshunds. All of these dogs shed very little!
- Cat Breeds That Shed A Lot- Persians, Ragamuffins, Russian Blues, Selkirk Rex, American Curls, Norwegian Forests, American Bobtails, Siberians, Chartreux, and Himalayans. All of these cats shed a lot! In fact, most long furred cats are known for being big shedders!
- Cat Breeds That Shed Very LIttle- Bengals, Burmese, Colorpoint Shorthair, Tonkinese, Cornish Rex, Somali, Siamese, Bombay, and Ocicats. All of these cats shed very little! Most of them have very short hair!
Type Of Vacuum
Each type of vacuum has different features that makes each type unique! There are so many different models to choose from, which is why it may seem overwhelming. To make it easier, here is a quick description of the different types of vacuums and what they do.
You’ll need to decide on a type that will suit your floors and your home. Canister and upright vacuum models tend to be best for pet hair cleanup.
- Upright Models- Upright vacuums are good for those who have trouble bending over a lot, or simply enjoy convenience. They are also one of the most versatile vacuum types. They They can be good for cleaning tile, wooden floor, and carpet! So, if you have a mix of flooring in your home, an upright may be right for you. They are usually the best option for pet hair removal.
- Stick Models- Stick vacuums are for much lighter cleaning. They usually don’t have as many features as other vacuums. They are not ideal for cleaning up pet hair, but it may work if you have a hypo-allergenic pet, or a pet that doesn’t shed much.
- Canister Models- Canister vacuums are also ideal for pet hair cleanup. They are versatile and frequently have high powered suction as well. They also often have features that aid in pet hair pickup.
- Handheld Models- Handheld vacuums are not meant for whole house cleaning, but more for spot cleaning. If you have spaces your regular vacuum just can’t fit, a handheld vacuum is a great idea, especially for crate and stair cleaning.
- Robot Models- Robot vacuums do the work for you, or at least help to control the mess. They can be helpful for upkeep between vacuuming, but they do fill up quickly when handling pet hair.
Your budget matters. You’ll need to choose a vacuum that works for your needs, but also one you can afford to purchase. Here’s a quick guide to to vacuum price ranges. Oftentimes, vacuums that are more expensive tend to be more effective at cleaning up pet hair. However, you can find an affordable model that will do that will work for you! I always look for models that suit my home.
- Upright Models- One of the more expensive options, most models range between around $49-$679
- Canister Models- Also on the more expensive side, most models range between around $59-$899
- Robot Models- Robot vacuums range between around $89-$599
- Stick Models- On the lighter end of things, most models range between around $29-$349
- Handheld Models- Handheld models are the least expensive, ranging between around $17-$199
Features You Want
- HPE Filter- It’s best to get a vacuum with a HEPA filter in most cases. HEPA filters are designed to filter away extra small particles. In fact, they are designed to trap 99.97% of particulates 0.3 microns or larger. For pet hair and pet dander, there’s nothing better than a HEPA filter.
- Brush Agitator- Brush agitators help to dislodge dust, dander, and pet hair particles from places they may be stuck to. This is one of the features that are very common, but also very necessary if you have a pet that sheds a lot.
- Bag Or Bagless- Most vacuums today are bagless, which has it’s pros and cons. The biggest advantage of bagless models is that you won’t need to change them or buy any. So, it’s more efficient and you avoid an additional cost. On the other hand, bagged models may be better for you if you have allergies. Also, bagged models are also much easier to cleanup. Ultimately, it comes down to preference entirely.
Best vacuum for pet hair 2017- Top 10
|Product name||Floor type||Bag type||Cord type||Outstanding Features||Vacuum type|
|Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner||All Surfaces||Bagless- No Bags And Washable Filters||Corded||Radial Root Cyclone Technology- Excellent Suction. Lightweight And Durable||Upright Vacuum Model|
|Shark Navigator Deluxe||All Surfaces- Easy To Transfer Between Carpet And Hardwood||Bagless||Corded||Swivel Steering- Excellent For Easy Aided Navigation. Brushroll shutoff||Upright Vacuum Model|
|BISSELL 9595 Vacuum with OnePass||All Surfaces||Bagless And Washable Filter||Corded||Carpet Stain Removal Option. Ideal For Cleaning Upholstery And Furniture As Well||Upright Vacuum Model|
|Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright||All Surfaces- Attachments||Bagless||Corded- Extra Long||The Lightest Unit On This List- 9 lbs. LED Lights For Illumination||Upright Vacuum Model|
|Hoover Platinum Collection LiNX Cordless Pet Handheld Vacuum||All Surfaces||Bagless||Cordless||Portable. Battery Powered||Handheld Vacuum Model|
|BISSELL PowerEdge Pet 81L2A||Hardwood Floor||Bagless||Corded||Unique Head Shape For Capturing Fine Debris. Designed For Hardwood Floors||Upright Vacuum Model|
|Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments||All Surfaces||Bagged||Corded||Lightweight Canister- 9 lbs||Canister Vacuum Model|
|bObi Pet Robotic Vacuum Cleaner||All Surfaces||Bagless||Cordless||Multi-action||Robotic Vacuum Model|
|Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser||All Surfaces||Bagless||Corded||Odor Elimination. Allergen Fighting||Upright Vacuum Model|
|Hoover Vacuum Cleaner T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind||All Surfaces- Better On Hardwood And Tile||Bagless, Washable Filter||Corded||Automatic Cord Rewinder||Upright Vacuum|
Our Top Pick – Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Our top pick for best vacuum for pet hair is the Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner. It’s work great for cleaning up all surfaces including carpet, hardwood, and tile. It has excellent suction power as well, so you’ll get all the pet hair up. If you’re looking for a sturdy vacuum that will get the job done, this model is for you!
After taking everything into consideration, below is our list for the top 10 best vacuums for pet hair. It’s a diverse list of the top vacuums for pet hair removal for your home, so you can do the best job to clean your home. This will give you a better idea of what to get for your pet hair needs! I know I love the items on the list, since I vacuum often with my pets around.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #1: Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Dyson DC41 Animal Complete Upright Vacuum Cleaner is a great room for versatile cleaning. This means that you’ll be able to use this vacuum on many surfaces including carpets, hardwood floors, tile, and everything in between.
It is an upright model as well, so that means that you’ll be able to to easily maneuver it. It’s even easier to steer with the ball technology. The ball technology allows the unit to turn on a dime. The unit is also a bagless model with washable filters as well.
The unit is unique because it uses Radial Root Cyclone technology. This technology helps to increase suction power with airflow. It is also very lightweight. You won’t need to deal with any bulky mechanics with this model.
Another thing you’ll get with this model is durability than with almost any other model. Don’t let the lightweight frame fool you. It also has a handheld wand attachment that stretches to reach nooks and crannies around your home. You’ll be able to get your home clean and hair-free from top to bottom in no time.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #2: Shark Navigator Deluxe Vacuum Cleaner
The Shark Navigator Deluxe Vacuum Cleaner is an affordable stand up vacuum for those of us who like a lightweight unit that’s easy to use and clean. This unit can be used on carpet and hardwood surfaces, so it’s a versatile unit.
It has a brushroll shutoff, which means that it can go from deep cleaning your carpet to gently tidying your bare floors. It’s adjustable and also has swivel steering to make thing easier.
One thing that makes this unit unique is it’s extra large, easy to clean dust cup. It’s a corded model that’s bagless, so you won’t spend any money or time buying and replacing the bags. It also has a hose attachment for simple cleaning with reach.
It’s also quiet, so you won’t scare your pets!
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #3: BISSELL 9595A Vacuum with OnePass Vacuum Cleaner
The BISSELL 9595A Vacuum with OnePass Vacuum Cleaner has a lot of attachments that make it unique. It can be equipped with a filter odor eliminator, a maintenance bundle, and more. Most importantly, it’s excellent in removing pet hair quickly and effectively. This unit has a Cyclonic System that makes suction more powerful and the unit last much longer.
This system is ideal for removing things like pet hair that tend to get stuck to surfaces. It also has a turbo brush. While most vacuums have a brush to help dislodge particles from hard to reach places, the turbo brush is unique. It’s unique because it’s bristles are gentle enough to be used on upholstery, stairs, furniture, floors, and more.
Also, this unit is also equipped with a dirt and foam tank. Which means that not only will you be able to clean up pet hair, you’ll also be able to handle carpet stains with the cleaning feature. So, you’ll be able to handle pet hair and pet stains with one machine!
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #4: Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright Vacuum Cleaner
The Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light Upright Vacuum Cleaner is an ultra light vacuum cleaner. This means that if you have trouble lifting and maneuvering things, you’ll have no problem with this unit.
It’s under 9 pounds! Don’t let it’s size fool you, however. It is a great unit with enough suction power to remove pet hair without the hassle of being a bulky unit. It’s unique in it’s sleek and colorful design.
This unit is all around unique. Besides it’s lightweight size, it’s got a lot more to offer. It has a motorized brush for deep cleaning and vacuuming, LED lights built in to illuminate and help spot debris, and an extra large dust cup for collecting debris, such as pet hair.
You won’t need to interrupt your cleaning because the cup will collect for longer with more capacity. It has all the attachments you need as well to make your cleaning job a success. Also, this unit comes with an extra long cord as well.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #5: Hoover Platinum Collection LiNX Cordless Pet Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
The Hoover Platinum Collection LiNX Cordless Pet Handheld Vacuum Cleaner is a good buy. This battery powered hand held unit is great for those hard to reach places your regular vacuum just can’t reach. It has a 25 degree pivot nozzle.
It offers excellent pet hair removal with great suction and three blade design. The three blade design is ideal for pet hair pick up. The unit has a dusting brush as well that helps to dislodge and remove particles from hard to reach areas.
Also, the unit is powered not to fade as it is equipped with a Lithium-Ion interchangeable battery.
This unit is extra easy to use because it is cordless. You can get into all the tough places you need to without any hassle. The motorized brush in this unit is also helpful. It helps to dislodge pet hair you would have otherwise missed.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #6: BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum Cleaner
The BISSELL PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Corded Vacuum Cleaner is designed specifically for hard floors. So if you only have wood floors and tile in your home, this may be the right option for you.
It’s equipped with a unique V shaped head that swivels, which makes gathering debris easier. The V shaped head is also ideal for gathering very small debris, which other vacuums may pass by.
Also, the swivel is great for navigating around tables, chairs, and other furniture. You should be able to clean anywhere you need to with this very unique vacuum.
You can look forward to affordability as well with this unit. Keep in mind that it is also a lightweight unit that glides easily. It is also bagless with an easy empty dirt cup.
What also makes this unit unique is its ability to vacuum up large particles as easily as it does small ones. You won’t be caught unclogging this system, since it’s built for anything, especially cleaning up pet hair.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #7: Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments
The Eureka Mighty Mite Canister Vacuum with Pet Attachments Vacuum Cleaner is an affordable canister vacuum model. This canister vacuum model is a great pet hair cleaner as well.
It is equipped with a HEPA filter which helps to trap more particles. If you have any allergies, this may be the right vacuum for you and your needs. Also, this vacuum is lightweight for it’s type, so you’ll have no problem navigating your home with this unit.
Infact, this unit is less than 9 pounds. So if you struggle with heavy objects, this vacuum won’t strain you.
This unit also offers excellent reach as well. You can clean wherever you need to with the unit with little effort. Efficiency is important, and this unit is definitely efficient.
This vacuum model has multiple attachments for different jobs, so you can get the cleaning you need.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #8: bObi Pet Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
The bObi Pet Robotic Vacuum Cleaner is an all-in-one cleaning machine, with the ability to vacuum, sweep, mop, UV sterilize and HEPA filter all at the same time.
This multi-action cleaner is specifically designed to clean up your pet’s hair and paw prints. And cleaning the bObi cleaner is easy with its washable full-submersible dustbin and silky TouchMe texture, so handling in any situation is a breeze.
The bObi also comes with the bObi blOck, the high tech and easy to use system that can section off parts of the room that you don’t want your vacuum to clean.
Simply placing the blOck in that area means your vacuum cleaner will avoid that area and clean around it, making it easier for you to control the bObi vacuum cleaner.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #9: Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum Cleaner
The Bissell 1650A Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum Cleaner is vibrant and fun. This unit is a mid-priced steal of a vacuum. If you have long haired pets, this may be the right one for you. This unit is most importantly equipped with a tangle free brush roll. This means that as you clean up long fur with this vacuum, it won’t clog!
This is unique because many vacuums, even good ones, do end up tangled when it comes to longer hairs. Also, this vacuum is LED lit to help find dirt, and helps to fight allergies. The vacuum has a smart seal allergen system that keep pet hair and dander safe inside once captured. So, if you have allergies, this one could be right for you.
You may have a dog that tend to be a little on the smelly side. My dog tends to be sometimes, and it’s usually because of their fur! This vacuum unit eliminates odors as it goes, which is one of the things that makes this vacuum worthy of our top ten list.
Best Vacuum For Pet Hair #10: Hoover Vacuum Cleaner T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Vacuum Cleaner
Last but not least, the Hoover Vacuum Cleaner T-Series WindTunnel Pet Rewind Vacuum Cleaner is a classic, tried and true vacuum for pet hair cleanup. It has carpet adjustment settings, 5 of them, each suited to different flooring.
This unit is also unique with a folding handle. If you ever have trouble storing your vacuum, you won’t with this vacuum.
The handle will fold down and fit anywhere. It has extensions as well than make upholstery cleaning and other tasks easier.
Wrapping It Up
Now that we’ve gone over our top ten picks, it’s time for you to decide which one you’ll get to keep your home clean.
There are many vacuums to choose from, just remeber to know what you’re looking for. Each unit offers unique features that suit different uses and household.
We hope you take our list into consideration when choosing your next vacuum that will take care of pet hair!
We hope you enjoyed our list! Comment below and let us know if you have tried any of the vacuums on this list and whether or not they worked for you.
We love hearing from you, so don’t be shy! Visit the rest of our page to keep learning with us and our pets.